Friday, July 30, 2010

While driving my '90 Miata, I smell gear oil when I come to a stop.?

a.) How do I check the fluid level.


b.) Is this common on a 18 yr. old car with over 200,000?While driving my '90 Miata, I smell gear oil when I come to a stop.?
Just because you smell gear oil, it doesn't mean you have a leak. I think you have got low on gear oil. You'll have to get under the car you will see a filler nut on the side of the gearbox, it's full of oil when it reaches the nuts orifice lower line. get gearoil with a fill tube attached and top up. better still, remove from underneath the gearbox, the drain plug (the old oil will gush out) replace plug and fill up with new oil.While driving my '90 Miata, I smell gear oil when I come to a stop.?
the dip stick is the same spedoometer cable yo have to pull out the cable and fill it until the oil came out the speedometer chamber





my suggestion take your car to pep boys or any quick lube and ask for the job
maybe u need to go tell someone until it EXPLOSE!!!
make your rear main rear seal is not dripping into the bell housing than leaking onto the clutch
Well have you checked your transmission oil? As your Miata has tranny oil and not fluid. You have to get under the Miata to check the tranny fluid level. If you do not have records or paperwork on when it was last changed, then I would recommend changing the tranny oil. My bet is your smelling old tranny oil burning and not your engine oil. Especially with a high mile Miata what do you have to loose?
You're probably smelling motor oil that is dripping onto the exhaust system. You really SHOULD keep your machines in better running order
It could be the smell is fluid or oil being burned on the exhaust, look for odd coloring or stains on the exhaust and it may lead you to the source of a leak.
Probably smelling your tranny fluid and or brake fluid if its happening when your stopping im not sure with miatas but thats what it would be to check the levels but thats just a thought on what it would be

No comments:

Post a Comment