Friday, July 30, 2010

Why dooes my oil guage go down when i come to a stop in my 1996 jeep cherroke?

my oil guage goes down when i come to a stopWhy dooes my oil guage go down when i come to a stop in my 1996 jeep cherroke?
As said above, oil pressure fluctuates with engine rpm. You should be reading anywhere from around 30 to 40 psi at idle and 50 to 60 at speed. Oil pressure switches wear out or break, oil pumps can get weak, and also make sure you keep that oil changed. The best way to tell is to have a mechanic use a manual guage to double check oil pressure. good luck!Why dooes my oil guage go down when i come to a stop in my 1996 jeep cherroke?
i hate to be the one to tell you but your going to find that the only fix is going to be a new engine. on the 4.0L the cam bearings go bad and causes your problem. ive put at least 2 engines in jeeps after the customer tried the oil pressure switch. a rebuild kit will not help you. it needs to be a remain or new motor. remember you are on borrowed time. keep the rpms down. good luck
that happened to me in my 2000 wrangler sport. when the engine heats up, the oil becomes thinner and that could be one of the causes. i changed the oil in mine and the problem went away. i would suggest checking your oil and possibly changing it.
The oil gauge measures pressure.... when you're decelerating or at a complete stop, it's less pressure. Nothing to worry about.
You could have a bad oil pressure switch. My wrangler had a similar problem, but I changed that switch and the problem was solved.
it will go down a little at idle if it is dropping way down change the oil pressure sending switch it worked for mine 270,000 miles on it and still has good oil pressure

No comments:

Post a Comment