Monday, August 23, 2010

Can I use an oil additive to stop my rear main seal leak?

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with a 5.2 liter V8. It has 167,000 miles on it. My rear main seal is leaking a little. No oil had touched the drive way but you can see that oil is slowly but surely leaking out around the seal. I can either get it repaired this week or try Bars leak rear main seal repair. I dont mind going the cheap route but I dont want to end up with more problems than I already have. Will this formula really work to stop my leak?Can I use an oil additive to stop my rear main seal leak?
It may slow it down. The only true fix is to replace the seal.Can I use an oil additive to stop my rear main seal leak?
For awhile it might. These products often work by softening the seal allowing it to maintain better contact with the rear main bearing. At best this is a temporary fix.
No, It might help alittle but what other problems might it cause to .
I've used it in tens of motors without any problems later.It seems to be one of those myths that it doesn't work judging by the answers here.The last time someone asked that same question all the internet mechanics said that it hardens the seals later.A good product is called Main-Sta.It dried up all the seals in my 1993 Grand Cherokee 5.2L.That was 10 years ago and 100,000 miles later still no leaks.
no, it';s a waist of money,have it replaced .
Most ';stop leak'; products are meant as a temporary fix at best. They are designed to allow you to drive the vehicle for a short period of time until you can get it fixed properly. If you are financially able and willing to have the vehicle's leak repaired this week, I'd skip the additives and just have it fixed asap. Good luck!
Nope, They haven't figured out how to get a mechanic in the can yet. Do not add the stop leak, it will do more harm than good, it will soften the seal chemically and cause it to expand. It also degrades the seal material. It will only cause premature failure of the seal. Plus it will react on all the engine oil seals causing the valve guide seals , front crankshaft seal and others to start leaking prematurely.





If it's not dripping the seal is probably OK, There is an amount of ';normal'; weepage from any rotating shaft seal. If a shop is trying to sell you the rear main job, get another opinion. Maybe things were slow, Christmas is coming the guy needs the money, His kids need shoes. He's thinking he needs it more than you, you're thinking different.





Oil stop leak is a waste of money and if it's really leaking you will still be contaminating the ground as you drive. You'll have to get it done. Trans has to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment