Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I stop the oil consumption in my 99 STS Northstar engine?

I was on a GM report website that describes ways to stop the abnormal oil consumption in the Northstar engine. I do remember one way, which was make sure that the dip stick only reads at half way.. not at max because something about the computer thinking there is too much in there and burning it off. I can't find anything else good on it, is there another good tip out there? My car doesn't smoke or anything like that. It will just burn like 1-2 quarts every 1000 to 1500 miles. Which seems like a typical number amongst N* motor owners. However, will changing my habits to keeping the oil life at half dipstick instead of max really improve anything like GM says? I don't really wanna run on low oil if its just gonna burn that up and F me over...How do I stop the oil consumption in my 99 STS Northstar engine?
THERE ARE ONLY A FEW WAYS TO LOSE THE OIL.


1. GETS PAST THE PISTON RINGS.


2.GETS PAST THE VALVE SEALS.


3. LEAKS OUT ONTO THE GROUND.





I WOULD NOT RUN LESS OIL THAN FULL ESPECIALLY IF IT IS DISAPPEARING. THE COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO BURN OFF THE OIL. THE OILING SYSTEM IS FULLY MECHANICAL AND IS NOT REGULATED BY THE COMPUTER.





HAVE A CYLINDER LEAK DOWN TEST PERFORMED AND THAT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF THE PROBLEM.





WHAT WEIGHT OF OIL DO YOU USE. I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE WELL OVER 100M ON THE VEHICLE. YOU SHOULD USE A HEAVIER WEIGHT OIL. 10W40 OR EVEN 20W50.





THE NORTHSTAR ENGINES ARE ALSO NOTORIOUS FOR BLOWN HEAD GASKETS AND/OR THE CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS COMING OUT. NO COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEMS?
  • eye liner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment