Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you stop the oil leak on my 1972 VW bus?

I blew the motor in my 72 bus, a 1700cc. I had a 1972 Porsche 914 with a 74 Porsche 914 2.0 motor rebuilt up to a 2.8 in it we took that motor and put it in my 1972 VW Bus.


Okay, everything worked out good, until we found that the Flywheel from the Porsche was just a little too big for the bus bell-housing. So, we switched to the buses flywheel... but the pilot bearing was trashed, we drove across town to get a new one for the bus flywheel, and got home and found it was the one for the Porsche flywheel not the bus. My boyfriend/mechanic took the bus flywheel and had the hole for the pilot bearing drilled out to fit the Porsche pilot bearing. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but I wasn't doing the work. SO, with that said... what's done is done.


Now the flywheel seal has been leaking. we reused the seal from the Porsche. It leaks, then it stops for a few days, then it starts leaking again. I went and bought both flywheel seals: one for a Porsche 914 2.0 motor and one for a 72 bus 1700 cc motor. The difference in size is only .002 of an inch or something. the VW one being the bigger one.


Anybody have any suggestions about how to stop the leaking? Other than the leak, my old bus runs like a million bucks. thanks for your time.How do you stop the oil leak on my 1972 VW bus?
This sounds like the rear seal spring has been kicked out of it's groove inside the seal. Very easy to do on the orange seal. The good news is it will go back in with a small screw driver. The bad news is you gotta take the flywheel off to do it. Your sure it is engine oil? all that ';In and Out'; can sometimes damage an old trans seal.





I had a 75 bus that didn't leak oil! So there was at least one out there that was good.





It is very important to cure an oil leak near the clutch. The leaking oil will ';mist'; its way into the friction disc and glaze it over -now that you have 1/3 more hp there that clutch is at it's max holding all ready, any oil on it will leave you stranded.





The problem with the size your working with is one seal will be .002 to tight, and the other is correct, and your using the -tight one? good- or the loose one ? will leak.- OR are you talking about the bore the seal sits in? There is one more thing--Is there an ';O'; ring in the flywheel? Did you put sealer on the flywheel where it mates to the crankshaft? Did it have a tin ';gasket'; between the flywheel and the crankshaft?





I have-- in a fit of desperation-- fit an old 40 hp trans to the 1500 fly wheel by bolting them together while the engine was running. The flywheel teeth acted like a great milling machine and cut clearances as it went. Had to watch the temp as the old trans was a pure magnesium case and should it catch fire, all bets were off.





The pilot bearing in the crankshaft? is replaced with the one for Porsche as that is what is in there? Not knowing that motor, I am presuming the trans input shaft was a good fit to the Porsche pilot bearing, and the hole that was opened up was just the access hole to the crankshaft so you could change the bearing- or does the pilot bearing actually seat in the flywheel? I would need to research that, or you can edit.





I think I have the picture- hope some of the places to look will help- I believe you can get it to dry up. Good luck.How do you stop the oil leak on my 1972 VW bus?
I'd try changing the oil and oil filter and add 1 litre of Lucas oil treatment instead of 1 of the litres of oil , it might take awhile a wk or more to notice much difference but I bet you the leak ends up stopping or slows down quite a bit over time.








Hope that helps and best of luck.Merry Xmas
You have a MECHANIC boyfriend and you ask all this here? Take the bus to a real mechanic.


By the way, nobody has ever seen 1972 VW Bus without any oil leaks...

No comments:

Post a Comment